Sleep Hygiene For Children
Preschool age children should get 10 -13 hours of sleep per night, while elementary age children should get 9 -11 hours of sleep per night.
If you notice that your child is not getting enough sleep, try these tips below!
1. Stick to the same bedtime and wake up time every day, even on weekends.
2. Beds are for sleeping. Try to only use your bed for sleeping, and not for watching TV.
3. Maintain a comfy, cozy room.
4. Alarm clocks are for waking up. Children who tend to stare at the clock hoping to fall asleep should have the clock turned away from them.
5. Keep a steady bedtime routine.
6. Quiet, calm, and relaxing activities. Avoid activities that are excessively stimulating.
7. How to relax. Practice taking deep breaths, and or thinking of positive images like being on a beach.
8. Start the day off right with exercise.
9. Avoid caffeine.
10. If you can't sleep, get out of bed.
11. Put kids to sleep drowsy, but awake.
12. Cuddle up with a stuffed animal or soft blanket.
13. Bedtime checkups should be short and sweet.
14. Maintain a sleep diary to track sleeping patterns in case things aren't going that well.
If you still would like some more help, don't be afraid to reach out to us! Our number is 253.237.3405.